How can we improve Base?

True 2-way sync with Google Contacts

Currently when you add a contact in Base, it syncs to Google Contacts, but then subsequently will NOT sync future changes to Google Contacts. Any edits to the contact need to be made in Google for them to appear in Base.

I propose that a true 2-way sync would be implemented, where the user could choose which app would "win" in case of a conflict, i.e. "Google wins" or "Base wins".

645 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ethan Anderson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Adminsupport-team (Admin, Base CRM) responded  · 

Hello everyone! Thanks for all of your feedback. A two-way sync with Google Contacts is very much currently under consideration, but just to give you a heads up, this is not something that will be happening in the near future. Stay tuned here for further updates – we’ll let you know as soon as something’s in the works!

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately for some reason it must be very hard to sync fully with Google Contacts...

Insightly is the best of all of them as far as the most features including notes synced and photo!
        Pipedrive has a good native one without syncing notes
        Prosper Now and Streak are bad even though they say they are Google Specific with Prosper using piesync ( terrible a third party and more cost)

For now it seems any crm you will have two data bases to worrry about!!

Wouldn't it be great if Google just added follow up and some other features to their Gsuite and charge some extra money for a Crm?? They would make millions and put allot of Crm out of business, not sure why they dont do it except maybe to not make their third party affiliates mad?

• Grega Grmovsek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone,

Im happy to say that it is now possible to sync your Base CRM and Google Contacts bidirectionally and in real time! Here at PieSync we just launched a connector with Base so feel free to check it out - more info on http://www.piesync.com/basecrm/

Hope this will solve your issues,
        Grega

I've created a smartlink feature "add to google contacts", which is semi-automatic sync. Anyone interested in the feature?

• _gL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am addressing the comment below "I can't recall a single CRM with legitimate 2-way sync right now."

This is either an ill-informed comment or possibly a marketing ploy to obfuscate the fact that Getbase does not have Google Contact integration, Still!. There are so many CRM that Google integration is part of now that I do not have time to type them all. Agile CRM has native 2-way, Contactually has Native 2-way, Zoho, you can use Podbox and have direct field mapping into a dozen CRM from Google Contacts (thats pretty cool!, but pricey)... Cirrus insights with Salesforce or SalesforceIQ Inbox. If you honestly tried 70ish CRM then you would know all of this... I have screen captured this post so that we can count the days until the post is taken down, but I only speak the truth about this.

I can't recall a single CRM with legitimate 2-way sync right now. I imagine it's more complicated and perhaps inhibited by Google itself than it perhaps could be. Even donned built for google only crm's don't have this feature. Others claim to have it via third party apps which have had issues in my experience. Anyway if your looking for a CRM base is one of the best imo after testing literally 70ish

• _gL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a major problem for Base. Only one email per user, no alias emailing, no contact sync, only imports 1000 emails, Exchange contact sync not working with public or shared contacts.... It is essentially useless as a CRM! You can not use it to communicate so there is no "Relationship" in the CRM and to make it worse Base thinks it knows best and that "their" clients are here only to suite their whims and fancies...

• Juan Leal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ethan that is the biggest BS non- commital reply I have ever heard from a company. It shows there no dedication to a MOJOR issue. They are adding worthless features and rising prices but can not add a simple 2 way google sync that every other service has. There is no practical work arounds for this issue an no timeframe to fix so just signed up for another CRM. After this experince and the last 3 years of them ignoring it then its time to go

• Evan Patronik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you give us the reasoning as to why "this is not something that will be happening in the near future"?

I just want to remind everyone here that this is a CRM, customer-relationship-management, and customers ARE contacts. The fact that any changes I make to an existing contact - whether in Google contacts or Base - are not reflected between these two apps, I just don't understand it. I have SO MANY disparities between my Google contacts and my Base contacts that it's almost laughable (I say almost because this is my business we're talking about).

There are countless apps out there with two-way sync, most of which are not nearly as critical to business as a CRM or even related to business at all. How is no one else losing their s**t over this?!!?! How is this something that wasn't baked in from the outset?! Come one Base.........pleeeeease work with us on this one!

As a part of Google Contact sync, it would be helpful to be able to designate google contact groups flagged for sync as to import to Base as either "Leads" or "Contacts".

Currently, specific Google contact groups can be flagged for sync to Base.

Additional use case: User flags specific contacts with a "Leads" or other arbitrary google contact group name - which is configured to import as a "Lead" to base - and allowing follow-up, and other tagging. I know that Zapier can move contacts to Base, however not having true contact sync back to google really adds friction to this activity and makes follow-up and additional workflow easy to overlook.

I second @Ethan Anderson's suggestion. Currently I have so many duplicates in Base due to the lack of 2-way sync...any solution would be helpful.

• Ethan Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Base, would it be possible to allow Pie Sync or FullContact to implement a sync? That would at least solve the pain point in the meantime. I've reached out to both of those companies as well.

Looks like Base does not care.. when this reaches 500 vote without any type of offical response then its time to quit

• Marcia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider elevating this up the priority list or at least letting us know if it's on your radar. This is a pain point for us and while we think Base is the nicest solution we are on the verge of signing up with nimble because we can sync contacts easily with pie sync.

• Jan Blythe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is causing us no end of problems.

It's even worse if you use iPhones and macs as they can't sync google contact folders into the contacts app so the "Base CRM" folder doesn't get synced to the phone and clients call and I don't know who's calling. It's super unprofessional!!!!!

If you (BASE) are not going to tackle this yourselves at least please consider working with Pie Sync or some other third party to do this properly. Or give us Cal dav so we can sync our devices directly \

they have to update on both places, what is the point of CONTACT management. obviously a lot of user requesting this feature and no answer from base, i have consider other options as I need to make sure my contacts are updated and i lost track what is correct.

• William Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would think a true 2 way sync would be pretty easy actually. I think the reason its not done now is that not all the fields in google contacts are supported in base. If they turned a 2-way sync on now you would potentially lose a lot of contact data.

Ideally all the fields are either supported or we get a true 2-way sync but only the base related fields are paid attention to by base.

This is crucial - it's stopping me from signing up - I keep coming back to look at Base because in almost every other aspect it's superior to the other offerings out there but I just can't make the leap without this being changed

Any updates on this? I've got an amazing amount of discrepancies between Base and my google contacts.

Would really appreciate whether or not this is something you're going to pursue.

We've got 356 votes, this was posted 2 years ago, and no response.

I've got contacts in Base which for some reason haven't synced to my google contacts, updates in google contacts that don't transfer into Base, and I know this may be a push to have us use Base entirely as a contact manager and our "email portal" to our customers, but the honest truth is I'm not going to use Base as my go-to contact manager OR the method in which I email my customers. The email platform is not robust enough, I don't have access to my plugins from Gmail (or Outlook for those of you who use that), and it just doesn't make sense to try to compete with my incumbent email client that's been doing this for years. Base is fantastic so far, but not providing two-way sync (or even commenting on your plans for it) makes it difficult to use my CRM efficiently and effectively, which is a killer when it comes to SaaS.

So, all that being said, could we please get an update on two-way sync?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base